Whether it’s your classic white chucks or a pair of white Vans, it’s difficult to maintain the pristine condition of your white shoes once they’re taken out of the box.
Fortunately, there are a few simple yet effective ways to clean white shoes.
How To Clean White Shoes
Although some shoes are machine washable, it’s better to hand wash them yourself as you have more control over how much water and agitation is applied.
So before you commence cleaning, make sure to have these items prepared:
- An old toothbrush
- A small mixing bowl
- Cloth/ towel
and choose any of the following methods that works for your dirty shoes.
- Baking Soda & Vinegar
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda and vinegar into a bowl of lukewarm water to create a paste.
- Use an old toothbrush to apply the mixture onto your shoes and brush in circular motion.
- Clap shoes together to remove dried paste and remove excess paste residue with a cloth.
- Stuff shoes with newspaper to keep it’s shape and let completely dry in the sun.
- Baking Soda & Laundry Detergent
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1.5 tablespoon of detergent into warm water to create paste.
- Brush paste with toothbrush and let it sit before rinsing.
- Rinse shoes, stuff with newspaper and let dry in the sun.
- Apply toothpaste on toothbrush and scrub all over your dirty shoes and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Rinse off shoes, take a damp towel to remove excess toothpaste and pat dry to remove excess water.
- Laundry Detergent
- Mix a small amount of laundry detergent in a bucket or basin full of warm water to create a soapy, not frothy, consistency.
- Soak shoes in bucket for a few minutes and then begin to clean shoes with a toothbrush in circular motions.
- Rinse residue off shoes and use an old towel to remove excess water.
- Stuff shoes with newspaper and let shoes dry in the sun.
- Always take off shoe laces before cleaning shoes
- Don’t put your shoes in the dryer as it will ruin the canvas.
- Always fill you shoes with newspaper/paper when leaving it to dry to keep it’s shape.
If you clean your white shoes a different way, let us know how by leaving a comment. 🙂