For both formal events and casual outings, a dress shirt is a staple in every man’s wardrobe. Keep your dress shirts looking as good as new all year round with these tips.
Washing A Dress Shirt
Before washing a dress shirt, it’s essential to undo all the buttons, including the ones on the cuffs and on the collar- if any, to ensure no damage on the button holes and threading.
- Make sure to pre-treat any stains for about 20-30 mins before putting it into the wash.
- Wash dress shirts on a cool, delicate cycle.
If in doubt, you can always check the care label for instructions on washing. In some cases, it may just need to be dry cleaned.
Drying A Dress Shirt
The best way to dry your dress shirt is to hang it on a hanger and let it naturally air dry. To maintain the shirt’s shape, do up the first two buttons. Avoid machine drying your dress shirt as this can cause damage to the fabric.
Ironing A Dress Shirt
Refer to the care label for the right heat setting when going to iron your dress shirt. If you want a crisp finish, iron both sides of the shirt. Alternatively, you can spray water to moisten it a bit before ironing.
Storing A Dress Shirt
Dress shirts should be hung up properly rather than folded.
- Use any hanger as long as it is not a wired, as this tends to pucker the shoulders.
- Fold and button up the collar, if it has any.
- Button up every other button on the length of the shirt to keep it from creasing.
Knowing the right way to care for your dress shirt will keep it looking crisp and in good shape for years to come. If you need your dress shirts professionally cleaned and pressed, you can schedule a collection with Laundryheap.